International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed (pic) said Malaysia continued to sustain its investment growth momentum, despite the slowdown in world economies which led to weak aggregate demand, volatile international financial markets, subdued commodity prices, uncertain economic policies and more intense regional competition, among others,

“Malaysia has been more selective in its investment agenda, preferring quality projects in targeted ecosystems that have a significant knock-on effect throughout the domestic economy,” he said, when announcing the country’s 2016 investment performance, here today.

Of the total investments, 71.6 per cent or RM148.9 billion was derived from domestic investors, with the remaining 28.4 per cent or RM59.0 billion coming from foreign direct investments (FDIs).

Mustapa said foreign investors continued to capitalise on the uniquely Malaysian ecosystems and its regional synergies, which was reflected in the 63.4 per cent higher FDI recorded year-on-year, against the RM36.1 billion secured in 2015.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here